Whether you already use it or you’re interested in starting, talking to your doctor about medical marijuana can be a source of anxiety. But rest assured, there are protections in place for both you and any doctor who prescribes it, so that both of you can focus on what’s best for your health.
Here are a few tips for how to talk to your doctor about medical cannabis, including what questions to ask.
Protected by Law
If you’re nervous about talking to your doctor about medical cannabis, remember two things:
- Your doctor is a professional, and is expected to treat you with professionalism at all times.
- There are legal protections in place to guarantee both doctor-patient confidentiality, as well as your doctor’s right to discuss treatment options with you.
Once you’ve brought up the subject, safety should be your first priority. Make sure your doctor has all your current information, and ask plenty of questions, such as:
- Will cannabis react with any of the other medications I am taking?
- What side effects should I expect?
- Will my treatment impair my ability to work or drive?
Research and Recommendations
Once the question of safety is addressed, you can ask questions that will benefit your understanding of cannabis treatments, leading to a better outcome.
- How do you recommend I consume the cannabis? There are a number of Denver weed strains, as well as concentrates, edibles, and topicals.
- What types of cannabis do you suggest? Should I focus on THC? CBD? Both?
- Can you suggest any research on cannabis treatment for my condition? Studies on medical marijuana are becoming increasingly more common.
Finding a Different Doctor
Sometimes, no matter how professional your doctor is, he or she is simply unwilling to discuss medical marijuana as a viable treatment. That’s OK, it just means it’s time to find a doctor more in keeping with your views. Not sure where to go? Ask a reputable dispensary, like MiNDFUL, for a referral.
Visit Us Today!
If you still have questions after talking to your doctor, check out our online resources or contact us to talk to one of our knowledgeable staff. For the best selection of flower, concentrates, topicals and medical edibles Denver can offer, stop in to one of our popular Denver locations. Illinois residents can experience the MiNDFUL difference, too, at our medical cannabis Chicago location.